Why are you doing the work you are doing? Does it align with what’s most important to you? Is it something you are passionate about?
Deloitte’s Shift Index survey reports 80% of people are dissatisfied with their jobs. Many of us were told working hard would result in a great career. But working hard doesn’t necessarily mean you are passionate about what you are doing and are interested in your work.
A passionate career fully engages you and holds your attention. The key to career success is to first get clear about what you love to do.
Find Out What Motivates You
Your first step is to clarify what’s most important to you. Scott Dinsmore, creator of Live Your Legend, in his TED Talk, How to find work you love recommends you:
- “Become a self-expert”. Identify your unique strengths and talents. Feeling stuck? Check out: 4 Cs to Get You Unstuck.
- Uncover your values. These are core to what is most important to you – family, achievement, and challenge are some examples. Rewarding careers align with these key values and keep you energized and committed.
- Determine what holds your interest. Looking at your work and volunteer experiences – what do you most enjoy doing, and conversely what activities drain you? At JL Careers we use Harvard’s CareerLeader, MBTI, Strong Indicator and other career tests to help you gain insight into your skills and passions.
If you have clarity as to these 3 elements, you are well on your way to a great career.
What’s Holding You Back?
What are the buts and excuses that keep you where you are? Common excuses:
- It’s all about luck. Ask any successful person – it’s never about standing around waiting for it to happen – they make it happen.
- I need more time. Overthinking only leads to self-doubt and paralysis.
- You have to be a genius. In a survey of top CEOs, less than 1% were high school valedictorians. The fiber of success is believing you are competent, no matter your IQ.
- I just need to work hard. Yes, working hard is the foundation for building a great career but only if you are doing work you love and are passionate about. Otherwise, it’s just work.
Keith Ferrazzi, best selling author and networking expert, asks: “What glass ceilings are holding you back?” And to break through, he questions: “Are these addictions – addictions to mediocracy?”
What is the story you believe about yourself? Is it time to break through those self-limiting beliefs and change your story?
Is Fear Getting in the Way?
We often believe it’s better to maintain the status quo and not rock the boat. Often we are driven by fear – the fear we will upset the apple cart, disrupt our relationships, look ridiculous or fail. In a very humorous TED Talk, Why you will fail to have a great career, Larry Smith calls out the excuses people invent when they fail to pursue their passions. He challenges us to consider the cost of not pursuing who you truly are. Is this the dialogue you want to pass to your children? And looking back over your life, do you want to say, ‘I should have but I didn’t’.
Surround yourself with Passionate People
Successful people do one thing very well, they seek out people who inspire them. “You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.” advises Jim Rohn, renowned business leader. For many of us, that’s a sobering thought. If you want to be successful in any aspect of your life (career, health, relationships, money) invest time with those who are ahead of you. By assimilation, you will build new success habits. Believe me – this works!
Finding others who share your passion and interests are the key. Then, create an Inner Circle of individuals committed to your success. Read more in Who’s Got Your Back.
Say “Yes” More Often
What if you said ‘Yes’ more often. When a door opens what if you seized the opportunity instead of analyzing your options? If you said ‘Yes’ today and pushed through the self-talk that holds you back, how would your life be different?
Are You Doing Work You Love?
No matter where you are in your career – you have a choice to be bold, courageous and starting today, shift your internal dialogue. It takes guts, determination and most importantly a plan of action. If we can be of help to get you on track to your dream career call us today for a complimentary consultation.
‘Building career success’ is our goal for our clients. Ensuring you have the tools, strategies and coaching support to reach your goals is our commitment. We’d love to assist in making this an outstanding year for you.
Wishing you a great year ahead that brings success, great health, and much happiness.
Go to JL Careers website