Imposter Syndrome is a chronic condition in the 21st century. You know that voice that sneaks up on you when you are not looking? It whispers in your ear, “You are a fraud. You have no idea what you are doing?” It may creep up when you are sitting in front of your computer, trying to answer an email or give a presentation to a client. The voice starts like a whisper and may raise its volume until it is screaming in your head, “Fraud, fraud, fraud!” It’s not freaking pretty.
You are not alone
As I mentioned, the Imposter Syndrome is a chronic condition nowadays. The questions that pop up inside us about our capabilities and competence are a natural part of life. The big issue is how you react to it. Are you frozen in fear and freak out not answering the email or do you have a talk with yourself that yes, you know what you’re doing and you got this? You have not gotten is far on pure luck, and your successes are not a result of random error. The rules that are running in your head a lot of the time are not yours; they are statements you have picked up along the way.
This is your life, and you are in charge of it. You know what you know, and you are working it. The voices in your head screw with you and try to stop you.
Here’s the deal, in 2019 all of the above is going to change: you are going to say screw it to the voice and own who you are and what you do. In 2019, you are going to go for what YOU want.
Getting over an acute episode of the imposter syndrome
- Redefine competence and success for yourself
- Have a look at what our beliefs are around success. Is what you’re using as your measure yours or someone else’s? Maybe it is time to change the self-talk about this. I know that is easier said than done, but take baby steps. Instead of “OMG, I am in over my head!” to “Wow, I am going to learn a lot.”
- Make a list of your skills
- Sometimes you need to see it. Take an inventory of your accomplishments. This gives you the ability to validate yourself.
- Own it. You’re not perfect, yet you are perfectly you. Just own it! Shift your body, stand up, put on something you feel fabulous in (even if you are working from home). There is research around merely changing the way we carry ourselves can significantly improve the way our lives unfold.
- Let go of the rules. Let the inner rebel out, they are dying to come to the surface and be let loose. That rebel knows you can do it, knows how to kick ass as it moves forward.
The rules you have picked up along the way may not be working for you anymore, it is time to look at them and the ones that don’t, kick them to the curb.
2019 is going to be the Best Year ever, and we are going to change the way we are doing things. Click here to find out more about how to make 2019 your Best Year.