For some of us, saying no is entirely different than what we usually do. As women, we have a predisposition to please and take care of others and therefore accept any request. So how do you stay on top of everything? What is the trick to getting it all done without losing your mind?
Embrace saying no!
It can feel uncomfortable… until we start. The first step is to get clear on what kind of month you want to have. Do you want to be super social and do lots of events or do you want a quieter holiday? It’s your choice – remember that. Set your boundaries and stick to them. Don’t let others talk you into something you don’t want to do.
So how do you say no?
- Just say it. Don’t beat around the bush. Be polite and straightforward.
- Don’t apologize or lie. Tell it like it is. (But be nice about it.)
- Don’t make excuses; you don’t have to explain why you aren’t doing it.
- Don’t say, “I will think about it,” you’re just putting off saying no.
- Don’t use the phrase, “I can’t…” You can, you’re just choosing not to. Saying no is a choice.
Embrace no, be selfish, and set your boundaries. You decide what kind of month you want to have.
Remember that your self-worth does not depend on how much you do for other people.
This is your life!